Videoclip of the Month!!!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Eat A Helicopter - Descend Into Darkness

Eat A Helicopter - Descend Into Darkness


You never know what you are going to get with deathcore nowadays, the sudden influx of weird and wonderful forms of deathcore means that the term “deathcore” is merely trivial. What kind of Deathcore? Progressive? Technical? Melodic?, bands from each of those subgenres of deathcore have been popping up everywhere like rabbits. I have seemed to have forgotten a genre, that’s it, deathcore, just pure deathcore. It seems that pure deathcore is having less and less people being drawn to it as everyone wants to be the most technical, progressive, heavy, ect. Eat A Helicopter have decided that they aren’t going to be like everyone else and stay true to true deathcore. Descend Into Darkness is an excellent showcase of how true they are to the genre and I must say, its looking good.

I’d like to start off by saying that Descend Into Darkness might just be slightly better than The Pessimist. Musically, Eat a Helicopter is a lot tighter and well rounded this time round. I think that even the recording of the ep is head and shoulders above their last ep this time round. I don’t really think that The Pessimist really unleased the true potential of the band. So I’m guessing that Descend Into Darkness might have been a redemption kind of thing for the band itself.

There are two types of deathcore bands out there, the ones who are heavy and the ones who aren’t. Judging by Descend Into Darkness, I can safely say that Eat A Helicopter is definitely on the heavy side of deathcore. They have the typical attitude of a true deathcore band in their music with is something that gives them their heaviness. In case you aren’t sure what I mean, bands such as Whitechapel and My Autumn also come to mind. Actually, come to think about it, the music on Descend Into Darkness sounds if Whitechapel and My Autumn’s music met halfway.

I really don’t like reviewing releases like this because there is literally nothing that much to talk about. Why? because one word pretty much summarises Eat A Helicopter and that’s generic. There is nothing really special about Descend Into Darkness other than that it’s a slight improvement over previous EP Pessimist. The guitar work is generic, the musical structure is overused, the vocals are nothing special… I can pretty much list everything they haven’t done and class everything as generic. I mean, even if the music was generic, it can still be deep and have at least some kind of dimensions to them but I don’t know if I can say that here. I just didn’t feel any kind of special vibes or anything from Descend Into Darkness. It’s just another release to me. I know what you’re probably thinking though. “you don’t understand the music” my answer to that would be the fact that there are other underground bands out there in the same vein who make true deathcore more interesting than Eat A Helicopter. Let’s take Bound By Exile as an example, they are one of the best pure deathcore bands out there hitting the underground scene. The main reason why they standout is that Bound By Exile have put a lot of thought in their music. They haven’t just thrown in some breakdowns, deathcore riffs, put in some progressiveness at the end of Descend Into Darkness and had the “she’ll be right” attitude. I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t work for me.

Descend Into Darkness is nothing but generic, every aspect of their music. I only recommend this to only the diehard deathcore fans out there. I think that Descend Into Darkness is mean for those who are into deathcore and nothing but deathcore because this is as deathcore as deathcore can be. Also I’m not going to bother recommending a single track because they’re all pretty much the same. I think that Eat A Helicopter will need to catch up with the rest of the scene or risk being left behind. I give Eat A Helicopter’s Descend Into Darkness a 12/20.


No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters
Powered By Blogger